Drift Fishing: FREE DRIFTING FOR BLUE CATS IN THE SUMMER

JULY IN KENTUCKY IS A GREAT TIME TO CATCH POST SPAWN CATFISH FROM THE OHIO RIVER, THEY TEND TO SCHOOL UP ON THE DEEP FLATS.
Free Drifting is the best technique for fishing for catfish in the summer time. Fish around ledges and drops along the river channel. Look for the catfish in the deep flats. The flats will produce numbers of 5-15 pounder’s and an occassional trophy catfish.. Use cut skip jack herring or shad for bait.

HERE’S THE BASIC INFO YOU NEED TO CATCH FISH NOW.

More on Drift Fishing for

36 Comments

1. john103 says:

Fantastic video Steve,,Thanks for sharing it..

2. Landon says:

Great, detailed video and blog! I have a 20′ pontoon boat with rod holders all around the railing, and would like to try the drifting method. I fish in the Ohio River around Maysville, KY. To keep the boat on course, do I need a drift sock, or use my trolling motor?

3. admin says:

FOR ME A DRIFT SOCK IS TOO MUCH OF A HASSEL, I WOULD RECOMEND A TROLLING MOTOR

4. bengals97 says:

Love the video and it was great information. I was wondering it looks like you set your rods and reels with no drag and someone had told me in the past it was a good idea to set some drag so the larger hits did not break the line?

5. admin says:

I SET THE DRAG SO THAT THEY CAN TAKE SOME LINE IF NEEDED BUT TIGHT ENOUGH THAT THEY GET HOOKED

6. trissmo01 says:

I use skipjack as bait too and i find it works alot better than most other cut bait. Your videos are awesome and I would love the opportunity to fish with you someday. Your videos have taught me alot about the skill of catching the big catfish.

7. admin says:

THANK YOU CURTIS, GLAD THERE HELPING YOU.

8. doughboy says:

great video Steve I dont get to fish the river much for the blues but use basically the same method on the lakes here in Ohio to catch channels

9. admin says:

its an awesome technique that will work in rivers or lakes.

10. Henry says:

Excellent video. Thanks. That first bite on the video, when the big cat was pulling that rod down, wow! Beautiful sight.

11. Jason Streck says:

Man this is exactly how im drifting in Northwest Missouri, Upper Missouri River, only three rods though, I take my Wife sometimes just to be able to add poles. I love all the insight. I bet I have watched every video you have made 10 times over, it’s been a big help, Thanks.

12. reb says:

Great video Steve,lots of good tips.Thanks
    R.E.B.

13. Jason Streck says:

Can you shoot me some info on locations to drift? I have been targeting channel ledges at about 15-20 feet. Just wondering if you could help me out, I think I have a great set-up and have been doing some fishing, just nothing terrible big yet.

14. admin says:

im gonna need a lil more info from you! are you fishing rivers, lakes ? what type of cats are you targeting? hollar back!

steve

15. Jason Streck says:

I’m fishin the Missouri River in Northwest Missouri. I’m new to the drifting game but enjoy it a great deal. I’m trying to graduate from the normal channel cat deal and am trying to target Big Blues on the river. I love this method of fishing and am just wondering how I can narrow down my search. The water level ranges from 30 feet and up from what I have been able to find. I have been drifting about 20-25 feet and targeting Blues, trying to focus on channel ledges. I have a great set-up for drifting ( I think), im just trying to find productive stretches in my river system. Im fairly new to BIG fish and am trying hard to really improve my game. Im working hard and thank you for all of your insight!

16. yummycats says:

I noticed you are using a no roll type sinker. Do you ever have issues with hang ups? I have fished Santee Cooper a few times in the past. Most of those guys use the slinky style sinkers. The ones with the paracord and buckshot as their weights. Whats the better option in your opinion?

Chuck aka yummycats

17. admin says:

chuck the guys at santee drift a lil differently than i do, they do more of a drag the bait thing, way behind the boats, thats why they use lighter slinky style weights, they have less hang ups. but i do a suspend drft that stays up off the bottom, directly under my boat. but i still get snagged occasionally, it just wouldnt be catfishin if we werent gettin snagged. lol

18. yummycats says:

I think I will try your style this weekend. I am excited to try something new. I also will try this at Santee in October when I go down.

19. yummycats says:

In your opinion what are the pros and cons of both methods of drifting? Thanks again for all your help.

20. southpaw says:

i have read and watched videos that say that when the water temp reaches 50 degrees that you should anchor only. but last winter i went out and didnt ctatch anything anchored but i sterted drifting and caught some in the 5 to 8 lb range. the water temp was 42 degrees. whatis your opion on this?

21. yadkincatman says:

Steve,love the videos great info.Love how you show every detail not like other videos that keep you guessing.I was wondering if you had any info on flatheads in lakes?locations and technex and etc.Also how fast you moving when free drifting and how fast or what speed should i use on the trolling motor while drifting? Thnx for helping out us noobs in the sport.

22. admin says:

southpaw, the blues will hit a drift in the winter but you just have to slow your drift way down, they just dont seem to want to chase a bait in the winter. thanks fo the comment

23. admin says:

yadkincatman, thanks for the comment, as far as the speed, i just go with the flow, however my main body of water i fish in my neck of the woods is the ohio river, doesnt run much currnt in the summer months, its more like a lake. but when that happens i pull my baits with my trollin motor. and the speed factor is when this happens is ,ill hit my trollin motor til my lines begin to angle backwards, then ill let off till the lines are vertical again, i use a 6-8 oz slip sinker to make the process faster. then i do the same thing over and over, the next thing you know, your a mile down river or lake.

24. Kojak76 says:

Love the video thanks for all the great information. I have been drift fishing for a couple years now and pretty much hate to anchor up anymore, but I do if I need to. I mostly fish lakes and would really like to start fishing on the Ohio. Where do you usually put in at. I am closest to Shawneetown Il but would not mind driving a little further to catch some nice blues.

25. admin says:

id fish the Shawneetown area, thats some of the best bluecat water around, i can betcha ill be at shawneetown when cabelas comes back to henderson next year. great bluecat water. good luck

26. Denny1939 says:

Great video Steve, I would like to try that in the Hermann area on the Missouri river, but I am noy it would work with the fast current on the Missouri River in the Hermann area.

27. catfish-hunter says:

Steve, I must say I love your videos, you turned me on to drifting about a year ago and I have had GREAT success….Thanks Man…looking forward to getting me some of your rod holders when I get some xtra dough.

28. yadkincatman says:

Steve you have any advice for drifting in a lake in the fall?Should i stay in main channels or what should i be looking for?

29. yadkincatman says:

Seen the video of you and jeremy nice day on the water for sure.The rod holders look sweet ,gonna look into getting some.Talk to soon.

30. admin says:

yea i would be in the channel or ditches or run offs this time of year, but in a lake you may have to deal with the fall turn over, which can make it tuff. but when the water stabilizes the fish will get more active as fall rolls in full steam. i would also throw smaller baits at them. good luck

31. yadkincatman says:

Steve just ordered two of the holders.Can’t wait to get them on my boat will be ording more in the future hope to have my boat surrounded by them by spring.Thnax for making such a good product.

32. jvise says:

I fish in the Maysville, Ky. around the mouth of cabin creek. Have never tried drift fishing but after watching your video and reading you blog cant wait to try it.
    I generally use bluegills or shad when I am fishing. Will also have to try skipjacks.

Great information.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks

1. LARGEST CATFISH EVER CAUGHT IN AMERICA: 130 LBS NEW WORLD RECORD BLUE CATFISH | Discover Catfishing
  2. Carolina rig /Slip rig for Catfishing | Discover Catfishing
  3. Global Positioning Systems: How important are they when catfishing? | Discover Catfishing
  4. Drift Fishing for Catfish: CATFISHING VIDEO, Targeting deep water structure. | DISCOVER CATFISHING